Monday, July 22, 2013

making an album?

Today, I had a meeting with a sound engineer/producer about making an album, called 3X3X3. The idea is that it will be me, in three different trios, singing music from three different genres.  The engineer suggested figuring out a way that all three genres are similar, and ways that all three of them are different.  At this point, it looks like it will be a Georgian trio, a Balkan one (hopefully with at least one Albanian song), and a classical-ish one (Bartok, Kodály, etc).  It's easy to find similarities between the Georgian and Balkan material, seeing as they are both polyphonic folk and from a similar part of the world, but I'm not sure how to tie those in with Bartok. Unless of course, you consider that both Kodály and Bartok were both heavily influenced by the folk music of their time.  

Another idea is to do an exploration of modes.  Or rhythm.  Could I find a Georgian, an Albanian, and a classical piece all in the same mode? Or with similar rhythmic attributes? Or some third, yet undefined category?

And then, how are they different?  I could play a different role in each trio... like singing top, middle, and bottom, depending on the genre. Or something. Lots to think about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment