Monday, July 29, 2013

polikarpe

I listened to this whole interview this morning, with Polikarpe Khubulava, one of Georgia's great songmasters.  I had the opportunity to work with Polikarpe in 2011, in a little village in western Georgia, called Merisi, Ach'ara.  It's literally in the clouds.  They come in the windows in the morning and hang in the bedroom with you.  A magical place.

They say you can't be a true lotbari (songmaster) until you know 300 songs, in all 3 voices.  It takes a lifetime, or more...

I'm packing for a trip to Scotland for a Georgian singing workshop, specifically for leaders of Georgian choirs outside of Georgia (!), which was practically designed for me.  I was asked to bring a song to teach, and then also to teach a workshop in Edinburgh on my way out of the country.

So, today has become, "prep songs day", which I'm very happy to do.  Good thing most of my clothes and things are packed, so I can actually spend the day focusing on music.  It's interesting to look at my repertoire.  What should I teach? Is it okay to teach something I *just* learned? Is it better to teach something I've already taught? Or better yet, already sung in a group, inside and out?  But it's a learning experience, right? So, shouldn't I teach something I'm not as familiar with so I'm still excited about it (and therefore my students will be, too?)  

My blind friend who will be attending from Ireland has asked for texts ahead of time, so I've been throwing song texts at her via email, and I don't know if I'll end up teaching any of them.  But... better to be over-prepared, right?  She can get them all Brailled up before she comes, which will be good.  I'm looking forward to singing with her again, after meeting her in Georgia in 2011.   Supposedly, she can transcribe music on her Braille device and hold a conversation at the same time.  Ha! Can't wait to experience that in person.


No comments:

Post a Comment